Amazing Wilderness Aurora ViewingTrout Rock Lodge is located on an island far away from city lights, traffic noise and is only accessible by Aurora Express, snowmobile, ski-plane or floatplane in summer. The design and location of the lodge have proven to be a successful combination for the ultimate in Aurora photography and viewing.
The lodge is located directly under the Auroral Oval, and there’s a 98 percent chance you will see the Aurora if you stay three nights.
Visit in Late Summer or Early Fall
Our late summer and fall tours (mid-August to early October) include a short trip by floatplane to the lodge. Enjoy boating, berry picking, fishing and hiking, and some of the best aurora viewing in the northern hemisphere.
In the daytime, look for wildlife - the North Arm of Great Slave Lake is a traditional fall staging area for thousands of waterfowl from all four continental flyways. Many species of ducks, geese and swans gather here in giant flocks before their long trip south. Grouse are common on our wooded islands, and moose, otter and black bears can often be seen fattening up for winter.
In the evening, when the sky is clear, the stars and the Aurora appear. Stay three nights and you are almost guaranteed a glimpse of the Northern Lights, nature’s greatest light show.
2014 Summer/Autumn Packages
Summer/Autumn 3 night VIP Aurora package includes:
(mid August to October 1st.)
- Yellowknife transfer to and from the Lodge by floatplane (12 minute scenic flight)
- Accommodation and 3 dinners, 2 lunches, 3 breakfasts
- Guided boating, hiking, berry picking, Northern shore lunch and visit to a natural Amethyst site.
- Wood stove operated hot tub
- Shore fishing (fishing license $31.50 is required)
- Unlimited Aurora viewing
Summer/Autumn Aurora Package is $1,895.00 + GST per person (minimum 2 people)
Extra nights: $ 450.00 + GST per person, no guided activities
NOTE: Please bring the following items:
- Warm clothing including hat & gloves
- Rain gear
- Warm waterproof hiking boots
- If you are planning to take pictures of the Aurora you need a tripod
- Bathing suit for hot tub (optional)
Visit in Winter
From early December to mid April Trout Rock Lodge is a warm, inviting home away from home in a vast expanse of snow and frozen water. You travel to the Lodge by van and Hagglunds (an enclosed tracked vehicle ideal for the snowy North) or by snowmobiles. During the day, drive your own snowmobile on the frozen lake, ice fish for fierce Northern Pike or Ling cod. Try snowshoeing along the windswept shoreline, or go for a tour in the Hagglunds. At night enjoy the Aurora, right from the Lodge deck, or venture out on the lake to take in a 360 degree view overhead.
2014 Winter Packages
Our winter packages commence in Yellowknife at 17:00 every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. You return to Yellowknife before lunch on the last day of your trip.
2-night VIP package includes:
- Transfer to and from the lodge with Hagglund or Snowmobile
- Accommodations at the lodge in heated room with Pacto toilet
- 2 dinners, 1 lunch, 2 breakfasts
- Ice fishing
- Northern lunch in heated Prospector tent
- Unlimited Aurora viewing
2-night VIP package is $ 1,095.00 + GST per person (minimum 2 people)
2-night photographer package includes:
- Airport transfer to the lodge return by van, snowmobile or Hagglund track machine
- Cabin accommodation (Outhouse)
- 2 dinners, 1 brunches and 1 Continental breakfast
- Coffee/Tea and snacks
2-night photographer package is $825.00 + GST (Minimum 2 people)
Day trip from Yellowknife
We leave Yellowknife at 09:30, travel by van and snowmobile to Trout Rock Lodge. After warming up with a cup of hot tea or coffee, we take our snowmobiles out on the lake to try our luck ice fishing. We use power augers to drill holes in the ice, which is sometimes 5′-6′ feet (150 centimetre) thick. You can lure a hard-fighting Northern Pike or the strange looking Ling cod to take your bait. Then we serve you a hot home-cooked meal in a heated Trapper’s tent. After fishing, we travel back to the lodge and have another cup of tea before heading back to Yellowknife around 17:00.
Day trip from Yellowknife is $425.00 + GST per person (minimum 2 people)
- Pick up and drop off in Yellowknife
- Ice fishing gear
- Hot lunch
Packages do not include:
- Fishing license, Winter clothing, Gratuities, Alcoholic or mix beverages
- Winter clothing is available for rent: $30 per night
A Government fishing license is required for fishing (can be purchased at the lodge) click here for info.
Extra Hagglunds charter is $ 250.00 + GST per hour.
Winter transfer from Yellowknife: Van 30 minutes and Hagglunds 30 minutes
Note: There is no running water or showers at the lodge during the winter season
All prices and terms subject to change without notice